Skip to main content

Ramen and more at Marco Polo Plaza Cebu

Everytime I find myself in Cebu City, I make it a point to drop by Marco Polo Plaza Cebu. And as always there's something new waiting for my palate.
This time, I had gastronomic fun at the Asian Station concocting my own ramen. This bowl has noodles, cabbage, shallots, mushrooms, shrimps, century egg and laksa soup base. Now that's a ramen!
Also new was the mango-citrus cooler with bits of "everything", if I heard right. It had the right mix  mango and orange (and other citrus) that gave refreshing drink complementing these "food-tasting" portions I got at during the lunch buffet Cafe Marco. 
As it was one day before Valentine, Cafe Marco was garbed in the most romantic way - with an arch of fresh flowers  at the entrance greeting the diners.  
And then the buffet captured my attention - as always.
Here's the Salad and Appetizer station with lots of healthy options. One can choose from the  already prepared... 
... or you can mix your own concoction with the wide variety of fresh greens and dressings, maong others.
Breads, cheeses, jellies and cold cuts got a corner of their own that had me checking almost every nook.
The Japanese Station was nearby and I said hello and met their sushis and other offerings with gusto.
One of my favorite stations was the Chinese Corner as it offers almost all facets of Chinese cuisine.
Traditional food like braised, peppered,fried, hot and spicy, etc had its own side - with me getting some sampling portions from each.
The roasting station had the Peking Duck say "quack"...
The Dimsum corner never fails to get my gastronomic attention and this time I also got some Yang Chow rice.
One of my faves is the Hainanese chicken and was among the first that got into my table. I just love the simple yet delicious combination of the Hainanese rice (I added more broth) and the juicy chicken with the dips I made as toppings. 
Filipino cuisine is always a mainstay at the buffet and of course there's Lechon Cebu among others.
Paying homage to one of Cebu's cooking claim to fame - SuTuKil (for sugba (grill), tuwa (stew) and kilaw ("cooked" in vinegar)). there's the Sugba station with an assortment of food to be grilled. Meat, seafood, vegetables and more line up waiting to be picked up and cooked on the grill!
I was only able to capture this Ratatouille on the Western station as most of the food were already gone when I got there. And I have to get some as it packs in some vegetables and also a way to remember the animated film of the same title.
DESSERTS! Now where to start? On display were lots of cakes, pastries, mousses and a wholote lot more.And there's more in every step you take as this station is among the most popular.
There's also a Chocolate fountain for those who want to have desserts injected with with more fun and lots of indulgence.
And here's what reached my table, well some of them anyway, as I had may trips back and forgot to take pictures. God thing I had this plate covered most on this plate were my favorites that day.
Speaking of favorites, it won't be a complete Cafe Marco experience without their delicious and indulgent Malicious cookies. This time made even more special with a cup of latte with a special hashtag to end the day.
It was another satisfying day of gastronomic fun - the Marco Polo Plaza Cebu way! 'Til we eat again, Marco!

Cebu Veterans Drive, Nivel Hills, Apas, Cebu City 6000 Philippines 
Tel. Nos.: (6332) 253 1111 Manila (632) 887 1263 Fax. (63 32) 234 8170
Toll Free | Philippines 1-800-111-00-995 | Thailand 1-800-852-0332 | 
Singapore 1-800-101-2242 | China 4001-201-481
Email: mpplaza@marcopolohotels.com

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Century Tuna Recipes

If you're looking for simple, easy  and delicious Century Tuna recipes online, congratulations, you've found it right here! How about spicy tuna sisig or tuna sinigang ? Maybe stir fried tuna with pickles or just yang chow fried rice .  I love Century Tuna from its flakes in oil variety, the spicier the better, but when I discovered the versatility of its solid variant, it became an obsession. At first I was just into the usual tested recipes; pasta and sandwich filling, but then it got simpler – I just eat it straight from the can! Usually with a piece of bread or an apple. I just add a few drops of vinegar to spice it up a bit. Then came the experiments. Yup I got tired of that habit that one day, I decided to test my skills in the kitchen. Serendipity, you might call it yet most of them turned into good recipes that I have shared now and then. Satisfying my Palabok cravings had me experiment on this recipe on the spot. With Century Tuna in lieu of the us...

An Ilonggo favorite - Valenciana

Found in almost all occasions like fiesta, birthdays, reunions and others, Ilonggos really love valenciana because most if not all have grown accustomed of having it in special gatherings at home.  A complete " go, grow and glow " dish because it has the carbohydrates, protein and vitamins and minerals in just one spoonful, Valenciana is really an " occasional dish ".  Here's the recipe for Valenciana

Ultimate Ilonggo Favorite: KBL Kadyos, Baboy, Langka

K.B.L. or Kadyos, Baboy, Langka is the ultimate favorite dish of most Ilonggos. It is also one of the most missed native dishes as kadyos and the souring ingredient, batwan , are hard to find when outside of the Ilonggo region.  Basically, it is boiled/stewed pork dish owing its "deliciousness" to the combination of the soft and tender pork, the tamed sourness of  batwan  and the  malinamnam na sabaw .  One of the "secrets" of the malinamnamn na sabaw , is the fact that the pork, whether just the plain meat or pata (hocks) are first grilled or broiled. This gives the broth a rather smoky taste that makes it more appetizing.. Learn how to make the Ilonggo dish KBL (Kadyos, Baboy, at Langka) with the recipe below. Ingredients 1 kilo Pata (pork hocks) or pork cubes, GRILLED and sliced into bite size pieces  1 unripe Jack fruit, cubed 2 cups pigeon pea (kadyos) 6-8 pieces batwan fruit  (or tamarind powder) 1 piece por...

Bitso-bitso

What is bitso-bitso ? Also spelled/called bichu-bichu or bitsu-bitsu , this native delicacy is made with fried rice flour dough then coated with coconut cream and muscovado sugar syrup. Its like a combination of making palitaw and banacue . The rice flour based "dough" is usually twisted and deep fried. Then it is placed/cooked in a mix of muscovado sugar then dried out. The sugar then "re-crystallize" making a crisp coating for the fried rice flour. The result is a local delicacy that crisp and sweet in the outside yet chewy inside.  Cooking bitso-bitso is done many different ways and with different mixes of ingredients. These particular ones in Santa Barbara, Iloilo are still crisp even after being exposed - they are peddled every afternoon around town for 5 pesos a piece. I particularly like the fact that the sugar coating crumbles in every bite, though messy at times, but its alway a treat to have these bitso-bitso . ...

Jiecel and Thea's Refreshment

When talks zero in on sio mai and sio pao (in Iloilo City), it would be incomplete when one snack shop is not mentioned. Jiecel and Thea's Refreshment had long been synonymous with these two Chinese delights and finally, I was able to personally visit the place, tasted their specialties and of course blogged about it. Just a simple menu with three of the specialties; mami, sio pao and sio mai. It was a short ride from the "Carlos" junction to this snack shop and even though I theoretically know where it was, I was still all eyes during the my travel. But luckily they had a very big signage that proclaimed "We serve the BEST mami, sio pao and sio mai in town". Now that got me gastronomically excited. Simple interiors of Jiecel and Thea's Refreshment makes you conentrate more on the food rather than the ambiance. It was around 1030am when I finally got there to see a sort of family brunch on going occupying half of the snack shop. But fortunately they were a...