Skip to main content

Something new and delicious at Bluejay Coffee and Deli

Yesterday, I dropped by Bluejay Coffee and Deli and came at the right time when they were debuting something new in their dessert line up. And in time for Valentine’s too as their Red Velvet cake caught my eye first. It was more of the name actually that got my attention for their Red Velvet mini cake was covered in white icing that turned out to be cream cheese and topped with mini white chocolate kisses.
I am more familiar with Red Velvet cakes and cupcakes with their reddish hue screaming for attention but this one, you won’t know it unless you give it a close look or it is offered to you. Googling, I found out red velvet cakes are smothered with Buttercream icing but it’s the cream cheese that is most popular. The red hue of cakes now is mostly food coloring but it before it was the addition of red beets that made the color more pronounced.
Bluejay’s Red Velvet mini cake is made with a dense red cake layered with cream cheese. It’s not fluffy or airy like those in cakes or cupcakes for bordering almost in the soft and fudge brownie consistency. The cream cheese, which is the more authentic partner, gave it a flavourful complement; with each bite lingering in with it’s delicious after taste. A perfect choice based on curiosity that was made even better with a cup of Bluejay’s cappuccino.
And there was another one in their line up as an order of Lemon Meringue Pie made its way on my table. It’s not the same as the Frozen Lemon Meringue Pie I usually crave and rave from Maridel’s. This one is basically a lemon “custard” pie in a pie shell and topped with meringue.
The lemon filling really stands out, of course, with it sweet and tangy flavour fighting o n your taste buds. Then the meringue offers a different flavour and texture that perfectly complements the filling. Even the crust has its own flavour too that go in harmony with the filling and topping. It’s a tame dessert as a whole and stands out among Bluejay’s line up because it veers away from the mostly chocolatey and rich genre, not to mention on the lighter side of it all.
I hope these items will become regular on the dessert menu and not only for the Valentine; for if not, I’ll have to go back to Bluejay again and again for my fill of these new discoveries to satisfy my craving and raving as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Century Tuna Recipes

If you're looking for simple, easy  and delicious Century Tuna recipes online, congratulations, you've found it right here! How about spicy tuna sisig or tuna sinigang ? Maybe stir fried tuna with pickles or just yang chow fried rice .  I love Century Tuna from its flakes in oil variety, the spicier the better, but when I discovered the versatility of its solid variant, it became an obsession. At first I was just into the usual tested recipes; pasta and sandwich filling, but then it got simpler – I just eat it straight from the can! Usually with a piece of bread or an apple. I just add a few drops of vinegar to spice it up a bit. Then came the experiments. Yup I got tired of that habit that one day, I decided to test my skills in the kitchen. Serendipity, you might call it yet most of them turned into good recipes that I have shared now and then. Satisfying my Palabok cravings had me experiment on this recipe on the spot. With Century Tuna in lieu of the us...

An Ilonggo favorite - Valenciana

Found in almost all occasions like fiesta, birthdays, reunions and others, Ilonggos really love valenciana because most if not all have grown accustomed of having it in special gatherings at home.  A complete " go, grow and glow " dish because it has the carbohydrates, protein and vitamins and minerals in just one spoonful, Valenciana is really an " occasional dish ".  Here's the recipe for Valenciana

Ultimate Ilonggo Favorite: KBL Kadyos, Baboy, Langka

K.B.L. or Kadyos, Baboy, Langka is the ultimate favorite dish of most Ilonggos. It is also one of the most missed native dishes as kadyos and the souring ingredient, batwan , are hard to find when outside of the Ilonggo region.  Basically, it is boiled/stewed pork dish owing its "deliciousness" to the combination of the soft and tender pork, the tamed sourness of  batwan  and the  malinamnam na sabaw .  One of the "secrets" of the malinamnamn na sabaw , is the fact that the pork, whether just the plain meat or pata (hocks) are first grilled or broiled. This gives the broth a rather smoky taste that makes it more appetizing.. Learn how to make the Ilonggo dish KBL (Kadyos, Baboy, at Langka) with the recipe below. Ingredients 1 kilo Pata (pork hocks) or pork cubes, GRILLED and sliced into bite size pieces  1 unripe Jack fruit, cubed 2 cups pigeon pea (kadyos) 6-8 pieces batwan fruit  (or tamarind powder) 1 piece por...

Bitso-bitso

What is bitso-bitso ? Also spelled/called bichu-bichu or bitsu-bitsu , this native delicacy is made with fried rice flour dough then coated with coconut cream and muscovado sugar syrup. Its like a combination of making palitaw and banacue . The rice flour based "dough" is usually twisted and deep fried. Then it is placed/cooked in a mix of muscovado sugar then dried out. The sugar then "re-crystallize" making a crisp coating for the fried rice flour. The result is a local delicacy that crisp and sweet in the outside yet chewy inside.  Cooking bitso-bitso is done many different ways and with different mixes of ingredients. These particular ones in Santa Barbara, Iloilo are still crisp even after being exposed - they are peddled every afternoon around town for 5 pesos a piece. I particularly like the fact that the sugar coating crumbles in every bite, though messy at times, but its alway a treat to have these bitso-bitso . ...

Jiecel and Thea's Refreshment

When talks zero in on sio mai and sio pao (in Iloilo City), it would be incomplete when one snack shop is not mentioned. Jiecel and Thea's Refreshment had long been synonymous with these two Chinese delights and finally, I was able to personally visit the place, tasted their specialties and of course blogged about it. Just a simple menu with three of the specialties; mami, sio pao and sio mai. It was a short ride from the "Carlos" junction to this snack shop and even though I theoretically know where it was, I was still all eyes during the my travel. But luckily they had a very big signage that proclaimed "We serve the BEST mami, sio pao and sio mai in town". Now that got me gastronomically excited. Simple interiors of Jiecel and Thea's Refreshment makes you conentrate more on the food rather than the ambiance. It was around 1030am when I finally got there to see a sort of family brunch on going occupying half of the snack shop. But fortunately they were a...