Skip to main content

Doughnuts galore: Krispy Kreme and GoNuts

Pasalubong from Manila always consists of things (specifically food items) not available in Iloilo. And most of the time it's dozens of boxes of doughnuts! I often go for Krispy Kreme even those simple Original Glazed doughnuts would often be greeted with excitement. But when I passed by a GoNuts Donuts store I couldn't say no to their visually appealing donuts. Even though I had a hard time carrying 9 half dozen boxes on my way home, it was worth it. Good thing my careful handling of these boxes preserved them - very minimal damage despite the transfers, etc.

These Disney Donuts from Gonuts really caught my attention that I made changes in my pasalubong plans. I got 1 dozen less from Krispy Kreme to accomodate these visually appelaing donuts. The hindrance that tiem for me was carrying all these boxes (9 in total) without causing much damage that would ruin the presentation. But in the end - I got home and my nephew got to recognize these Disney Donuts rather than just colorful stuff.

I also got a dozen of assorted Prima donuts based on the visuals and almost totally forgot one of GoNuts Donuts best sellers - Pastillas de leche. Good thing another customer was egging her son to get one that I remembered it. But among these donuts my favorite would be the one filled with cream cheese. Unfortunately, I only got one!
Krispy Kreme seemed to be the more popular pasalubong doughnuts since I wasn't the only one carrying signature green-white-red box on the plane. But I think no one carried more doughnuts than I do that - lol. In fact my carry on "luggage" were nine half dozen boxes of donuts! Anyway, simple as they may seem KrispyKremees Original Glazed still is a favorite and best seller. Even though it's now too sweet, I cannot refuse a bite.
As the Valentine season is just now in the air, so as it is at Krispy Kreme with their doughnuts being heart shaped. Most popular of which is their Kisses Donut with a piece of the chocolate (with label too) marking a spot. They also have Snickers, Cookies and Cream and a whole lot more. Even their New York cheesecake also became "hearty."
As these two donut shops serve a following of their own, I can only help but wait for these two to open up a branch here in Iloilo to serve their mouth watering doughnuts to the Ilonggos.

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Century Tuna Recipes

If you're looking for simple, easy  and delicious Century Tuna recipes online, congratulations, you've found it right here! How about spicy tuna sisig or tuna sinigang ? Maybe stir fried tuna with pickles or just yang chow fried rice .  I love Century Tuna from its flakes in oil variety, the spicier the better, but when I discovered the versatility of its solid variant, it became an obsession. At first I was just into the usual tested recipes; pasta and sandwich filling, but then it got simpler – I just eat it straight from the can! Usually with a piece of bread or an apple. I just add a few drops of vinegar to spice it up a bit. Then came the experiments. Yup I got tired of that habit that one day, I decided to test my skills in the kitchen. Serendipity, you might call it yet most of them turned into good recipes that I have shared now and then. Satisfying my Palabok cravings had me experiment on this recipe on the spot. With Century Tuna in lieu of the us...

An Ilonggo favorite - Valenciana

Found in almost all occasions like fiesta, birthdays, reunions and others, Ilonggos really love valenciana because most if not all have grown accustomed of having it in special gatherings at home.  A complete " go, grow and glow " dish because it has the carbohydrates, protein and vitamins and minerals in just one spoonful, Valenciana is really an " occasional dish ".  Here's the recipe for Valenciana

Ultimate Ilonggo Favorite: KBL Kadyos, Baboy, Langka

K.B.L. or Kadyos, Baboy, Langka is the ultimate favorite dish of most Ilonggos. It is also one of the most missed native dishes as kadyos and the souring ingredient, batwan , are hard to find when outside of the Ilonggo region.  Basically, it is boiled/stewed pork dish owing its "deliciousness" to the combination of the soft and tender pork, the tamed sourness of  batwan  and the  malinamnam na sabaw .  One of the "secrets" of the malinamnamn na sabaw , is the fact that the pork, whether just the plain meat or pata (hocks) are first grilled or broiled. This gives the broth a rather smoky taste that makes it more appetizing.. Learn how to make the Ilonggo dish KBL (Kadyos, Baboy, at Langka) with the recipe below. Ingredients 1 kilo Pata (pork hocks) or pork cubes, GRILLED and sliced into bite size pieces  1 unripe Jack fruit, cubed 2 cups pigeon pea (kadyos) 6-8 pieces batwan fruit  (or tamarind powder) 1 piece por...

Bitso-bitso

What is bitso-bitso ? Also spelled/called bichu-bichu or bitsu-bitsu , this native delicacy is made with fried rice flour dough then coated with coconut cream and muscovado sugar syrup. Its like a combination of making palitaw and banacue . The rice flour based "dough" is usually twisted and deep fried. Then it is placed/cooked in a mix of muscovado sugar then dried out. The sugar then "re-crystallize" making a crisp coating for the fried rice flour. The result is a local delicacy that crisp and sweet in the outside yet chewy inside.  Cooking bitso-bitso is done many different ways and with different mixes of ingredients. These particular ones in Santa Barbara, Iloilo are still crisp even after being exposed - they are peddled every afternoon around town for 5 pesos a piece. I particularly like the fact that the sugar coating crumbles in every bite, though messy at times, but its alway a treat to have these bitso-bitso . ...

Jiecel and Thea's Refreshment

When talks zero in on sio mai and sio pao (in Iloilo City), it would be incomplete when one snack shop is not mentioned. Jiecel and Thea's Refreshment had long been synonymous with these two Chinese delights and finally, I was able to personally visit the place, tasted their specialties and of course blogged about it. Just a simple menu with three of the specialties; mami, sio pao and sio mai. It was a short ride from the "Carlos" junction to this snack shop and even though I theoretically know where it was, I was still all eyes during the my travel. But luckily they had a very big signage that proclaimed "We serve the BEST mami, sio pao and sio mai in town". Now that got me gastronomically excited. Simple interiors of Jiecel and Thea's Refreshment makes you conentrate more on the food rather than the ambiance. It was around 1030am when I finally got there to see a sort of family brunch on going occupying half of the snack shop. But fortunately they were a...