Skip to main content

"Rice" and shine

Today was actually NO "Rice and Shine"

Until now as I am writing this entry heavy downpour continues, so much for the "shine".

On the other hand, I never had rice in my meals today. As I woke up hearing the wind and the rain outside my window, I dreamt of eating Pancit Molo or arroz caldo. But "reality" had other plans for I was met with a plate of a "Modern Ilonggo-Pinoy" fiesta fare courtesy of a luncheon at a neighbour's house.

A seven "course" in one plate, it was a mix of beef, pork, poultry, seafood and thankfully, fresh lumpia. Well I got my pancit Molo dream after all. Even though I was hungry I cannot resist the bloglure of this plate so I let my stomach "grumble" for another 15 minutes a I took photos.

These fried pancit Molo balls and fresh lumpia obviously compose the Ilonggo flavour of this food fare. Fiesta at home always have fresh lumpia but we night try these pancit molo balls next timeto add something new on our table. Maybe not even onyl during fiestas but any time soon.

What's a pinoy fiesta without the star? Ofcourse lechon is alway the centerpiece any big Pinoy food gathering. But I never got the "star of the star" which is the crispy and crunchy pork skin.

Another staple is fried lumpiang shanghai, though Chinese in origin, it's always there on the fiesta table. So are these prawns, which aside from giving color to the lot, it gives seafoods their own place on the table. ( I never got to eat these though)

Finally on the modern scene, chicken cordon bleu and lengua with mushrooms. Usually not your typical Filipino fiesta items but somehow they adapted themselves to this scene.

To cap everything, I finished this plate as soon as I eneded my photoshoot. I did not have any rice to go with this plate.

PS. I actually had rice today, but not in the usual, white and fluffy form, but though a vegetable flavoured rice food snack, Snacku!


Popular posts from this blog

Easy Century Tuna Recipes

If you're looking for simple, easy  and delicious Century Tuna recipes online, congratulations, you've found it right here! How about spicy tuna sisig or tuna sinigang ? Maybe stir fried tuna with pickles or just yang chow fried rice .  I love Century Tuna from its flakes in oil variety, the spicier the better, but when I discovered the versatility of its solid variant, it became an obsession. At first I was just into the usual tested recipes; pasta and sandwich filling, but then it got simpler – I just eat it straight from the can! Usually with a piece of bread or an apple. I just add a few drops of vinegar to spice it up a bit. Then came the experiments. Yup I got tired of that habit that one day, I decided to test my skills in the kitchen. Serendipity, you might call it yet most of them turned into good recipes that I have shared now and then. Satisfying my Palabok cravings had me experiment on this recipe on the spot. With Century Tuna in lieu of the us...

An Ilonggo favorite - Valenciana

Found in almost all occasions like fiesta, birthdays, reunions and others, Ilonggos really love valenciana because most if not all have grown accustomed of having it in special gatherings at home.  A complete " go, grow and glow " dish because it has the carbohydrates, protein and vitamins and minerals in just one spoonful, Valenciana is really an " occasional dish ".  Here's the recipe for Valenciana

Ultimate Ilonggo Favorite: KBL Kadyos, Baboy, Langka

K.B.L. or Kadyos, Baboy, Langka is the ultimate favorite dish of most Ilonggos. It is also one of the most missed native dishes as kadyos and the souring ingredient, batwan , are hard to find when outside of the Ilonggo region.  Basically, it is boiled/stewed pork dish owing its "deliciousness" to the combination of the soft and tender pork, the tamed sourness of  batwan  and the  malinamnam na sabaw .  One of the "secrets" of the malinamnamn na sabaw , is the fact that the pork, whether just the plain meat or pata (hocks) are first grilled or broiled. This gives the broth a rather smoky taste that makes it more appetizing.. Learn how to make the Ilonggo dish KBL (Kadyos, Baboy, at Langka) with the recipe below. Ingredients 1 kilo Pata (pork hocks) or pork cubes, GRILLED and sliced into bite size pieces  1 unripe Jack fruit, cubed 2 cups pigeon pea (kadyos) 6-8 pieces batwan fruit  (or tamarind powder) 1 piece por...

Bitso-bitso

What is bitso-bitso ? Also spelled/called bichu-bichu or bitsu-bitsu , this native delicacy is made with fried rice flour dough then coated with coconut cream and muscovado sugar syrup. Its like a combination of making palitaw and banacue . The rice flour based "dough" is usually twisted and deep fried. Then it is placed/cooked in a mix of muscovado sugar then dried out. The sugar then "re-crystallize" making a crisp coating for the fried rice flour. The result is a local delicacy that crisp and sweet in the outside yet chewy inside.  Cooking bitso-bitso is done many different ways and with different mixes of ingredients. These particular ones in Santa Barbara, Iloilo are still crisp even after being exposed - they are peddled every afternoon around town for 5 pesos a piece. I particularly like the fact that the sugar coating crumbles in every bite, though messy at times, but its alway a treat to have these bitso-bitso . ...

Jiecel and Thea's Refreshment

When talks zero in on sio mai and sio pao (in Iloilo City), it would be incomplete when one snack shop is not mentioned. Jiecel and Thea's Refreshment had long been synonymous with these two Chinese delights and finally, I was able to personally visit the place, tasted their specialties and of course blogged about it. Just a simple menu with three of the specialties; mami, sio pao and sio mai. It was a short ride from the "Carlos" junction to this snack shop and even though I theoretically know where it was, I was still all eyes during the my travel. But luckily they had a very big signage that proclaimed "We serve the BEST mami, sio pao and sio mai in town". Now that got me gastronomically excited. Simple interiors of Jiecel and Thea's Refreshment makes you conentrate more on the food rather than the ambiance. It was around 1030am when I finally got there to see a sort of family brunch on going occupying half of the snack shop. But fortunately they were a...